The steel hen has received the last of the attention she is going to receive for a while, I believe. Last week, I did the following:
- Heated up the end of a quarter-in steel rod in the forge and banged on it with a hammer until it was beak-shaped
- Used an oxy-acetalyne cutting torch to cut out a comb and wattles, then welded them on with same tanks
- Melted holes in the head, found matching bolts, cut them short, inserted them. One later fell out and will have to reattached with more confidence at a future date.
- Got a brief lesson in brazing (that’s when you attach two pieces of metal with brass, or in this case, try to color on some small pieces of flat steel with brass as if it were a paint pen, which is definitely is not) and attempted to use the method to give the new chicken head-parts some additional style and color.
- Had my picture taken with the hen
She’s bigger than my chickens, though not by much. She is quite a bit heavier, though. Any naming suggestions for Her Henness?